Have you recently had security shutters installed on your Gold Coast home and wondering what the best way to clean them is? Over time, shutters can collect dirt, dust and general debris making your home look unloved. Cleaning your security shutters is really easy – just set aside a couple of hours on a weekend and they’ll be looking as good as new.
How Not to Clean Your Security Shutters
Before we start, it’s best not to use all purpose cleaners on any interior shutters. The harsh chemicals contained within these cleaners can make the shutters discolour, and that’s not something you want happening.
Tips on Cleaning Gold Coast Security Shutter
- Use mild detergent, water and a soft cloth to remove any built up dirt and dust. It is important to remember to clean up and down the shutters when closed and not across. Cleaning across may move the slats out of alignment which will make it difficult to close. If you have timber shutters it is best to use a wood polish and not a detergent to make them look great.
- Clean between the shutters using a soft bristled brush to remove any extra dirt and dust. If you clean your shutters regularly, you may find you can simply run the vacuum over them with the brush attachment for easy removal of any dirt.
- Your gutter guides can be cleaned with a slowly running hose. After you have gotten out any debris, let the guides dry before you close your shutters to prevent mould and mildew growth.
- Are your Gold Coast security shutters showing signs of mildew? Mix together a solution of 1 part bleach and 5 parts water. Test on the underside of a shutter to make sure it doesn’t discolour your shutters before you use it to clean off the mildew.
- Dust your shutters regularly with a soft duster to make deep cleaning easier and quicker.
If you do need to use a ladder to clean your shutters, ensure the ladder is on even ground and that you follow all safety instructions on the ladder.
Considering installing security shutters on your Gold Coast home? Contact the team at Securelux for a free consult and quote.